Friday, December 18, 2015

54-40 - 54-40 (CD Reissue / 2010)





In 1986, I was an art student studying graphic design at an expensive art school. I had no money to speak of, but always chunked together enough cash to buy records, go clubbing and drink. Funny how that works out. One of my purchases, (again on the cheap as all my stories involving record purchases go) was this debut release from 54.40. I had no clue what it sounded like and had no one telling me to go out and buy it. One of those 'I have a few bucks for cheap-o cut out LP's, let's shop' moments. My decision turned out to be aces! It also became a favourite! Only a handful of friends had even heard of them...and they were musicians in local bands. I knew I was in 'it'. Long story short, I played this LP out, wore down the Cassette tape and finally caved into this new fangled thing called a CD...in the long box...anyone remember that? I loved that CD until it broke. Well, this leads up to the 2010 Wounded Bird reissue. Ah, fresh again! Do enjoy this at your own leisure! 

Oh, one last quick note...the track 'I Go Blind'...yeah, this is the group that WROTE & RECORDED it 10 years before Hootie covered it!  


One Way: Me Island

6 comments:

  1. I had saved all my long boxes until my wife made me throw them out recently! Oh, and Grace & Beauty is one of my all-time favorite songs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to save all the long boxes too. I had a wall of them duct taped up in my dorm room...lol! Thanks for the comment Dave!

      Delete
  2. thank you ... what a rare and special treat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was waiting on the arrival of this CD for a while! As I said previously, my only other copy cracked. Love this new one! Thanks again for commenting!

      Delete
  3. Wait, is that THE David Ogilvie, like in Skinny Puppy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I believe that to be true!! Thanks for bringing that up.

      Delete