Friday, February 6, 2015

Thomas Dolby - Blinded By Science (5 Song Mini LP / 1982)




01 She Blinded Me With Science 5:09
02 One Of Our Submarines 7:15
03 Windpower 5:57
04 Airwaves 5:20
05 Flying North 5:41






This is the incredible Thomas Dolby and one of his earlier works following his involvement with bands previous. This also was the first record I ever purchased by Dolby. His tracks were all over modern rock radio back in 1982 specifically 'She Blinded Me With Science' and 'One Of Our Submarines'. The tracks were so different from anything else, well, outside of Planet P which I bought roughly at the same time. Eventually, as most of us know, 'She Blinded Me With Science' went on to become an MTV favorite and achieve a peak #5 position with the Billboard Top 40 back in the late spring of 1983.

All of the songs from this LP are extended versions of the originals. I have decided to use the tracks from the 1999 CD compilation release '12X12'. The only track I recorded from this LP was 'Airwaves'. I hope to hear your feedback regarding it, as I was beside myself in making the decision not to record the entire mini LP. Perhaps some of you will like and or dislike that. Let me know and I can go back and record it in full. All the art is from my copy of the vinyl. Thanks!


30 comments:

  1. -= Faith Healer =-February 6, 2015 at 9:17 PM

    This is awesome! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks FH! Checking up on the PSB!

      Delete
    2. thank you

      Delete
  2. Many thanks!
    Dani (Brazil)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Superb! Cheers. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for taking the time to comment!

      Delete
  4. Do you have any ART OF MIX compilations?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have about 5 or 6 of them, unfortunately the art is missing. I dislike posting without art and I find that using Discogs artwork to be inferior. I'll check into my vaults! Thanks for taking time to comment!

      Delete
    2. That would be great. I have a lot of the Razormaid and Ultimixes but none of the Art Of Mix, Rampage, Roadkill, etc.

      It seems that Art Of Mix specializes on 80s stuff and alternative!

      Delete
  5. man, this brings back a bunch of memories. Thanks very much, quality work as always!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here's a link for all my Thomas Dolby 12" extended singles/E.P.'s. My vinyl, my rips. Enjoy!

    Airhead (Extended Version)
    Airhead 12inch
    Dissidents; The Search For Truth Parts 1-2
    Dolby's Cube - May The Cube With You
    Dolby's Cube 12 inch
    Europa And The Pitrate Twins (Extended Version)
    Hot Sauce 12 inch EP
    Hyper-Active! [Heavy Breather Subversion]
    Thomas Dolby and Screamin' Lord Byron

    http://www.nitroflare.com/view/46A921A88ADF3BF

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thomas Dolby is such an underrated genius! I suppose you also know “Screen Kiss” (84) and “I love you goodbye” (92)? If not, check them out – 2 of my all-time favourite songs. I really like your blog, by the way – so many unjustly forgotten gems.
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had this on cassette at one point. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd love to find it on cassette! Thanks PPMD!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for the original post, it's interesting to see variations on my own countries releases. As for deliberating over whether to record all from the CD or LP I think most of us are just happy to hear them at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! Thanks for the comment. I'll provide a new link in a bit!

      Delete
    2. Actually, the link is still good.

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    4. The February 24th link to the additional 12 inch releases was removed by that person. Can't help you on that one...:(

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. Excellent! You're welcome. Thanks for the comment.

      Delete
  12. Thank you so much from Spain!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you so much from Spain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent! You are quite welcome! Thank you for taking the time to check out the blog and to comment!

      Delete