Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Boys From Brazil - We Don't Need No World War III (Import 12 Inch / 1987)




01 We Don't Need No World War III (CIA Mix) 6:50
02 We Don't Need No World War III (KGB Mix) 7:20






A classic slice of the (then) West German label Westside. This 12 inch, number 008 in the catalogue for Westside, holds true to the underground scene at the time. A Balearic feel with hints of what New Beat was about to become and what other artists from the label were emulating. Other artists such as Axodry, Two Of China, Moskwa TV, MCL, Voyou and even early Camouflage. This is a slower brooding track with the unmistakable bass kick and synth rolls. The vocal track is a tell-tale of the political times. Spoken word with light singing regarding all that is doom between the U.S. and the U.S.S.R. In my opinion, Westside Records and everything they put out were extremely influential at the time, despite the relative monotony of some specific tracks. Songs feel more like a test and loop of electronics, a way for the artists to get on a soapbox and warn you about the State of the Nations.

All art and recordings are taken from my original 12 inch. I paid $0.99 for it! I uploaded the images to the Discogs site as well. 


We Don't Need No: World War III 

6 comments:

  1. -= Faith Healer =-January 1, 2015 at 9:17 PM

    Truly a classic as was everything else from Westside! Their music was definitely slightly ahead of its time!

    Thank you for sharing this! It will blow my speakers up!


    btw, do you maybe have the Re-remix of INXS - Devil Inside?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks FH! I'll check on the INXS...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I ever heard of this. Checked it out. I found it to be reminiscent of Information Society (which I kind of liked).As a child of the 70s and 80s this really "speaks" to me.Nice find.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for checking into it. Westside was always unique!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks,

    really HARD TO FIND 12' nowadays...Westside 's releases were always unique !

    THANKS !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! I'm usually amazed if I can find Westside records anywhere else other than Discogs. Thanks for the comment!

      Delete